Bio: I live with my partner, we're expecting our 1st child. I love training, swimming & spending time with family and friends.
Job: Active Swansea Fitness Instructor, Penlan Leisure Centre
"It’s very rewarding to know you can help people feel better about themselves...my father used to use gyms everyday and was big on weight training. The importance of looking after yourself came from him."
1) Tell me a bit about what fitness classes you teach.
I currently teach 3 classes, Zumba, Rebound and Group Cycling: Zumba is basically dancing to great music whilst burning calories; Rebound is a class on mini trampolines; high intensity, low impact, good fun and burns loads! Group Cycling is great for increasing fitness and burning calories. (A-Z Fitness Classes)
2) What are people going for at the moment?
If I had to pick one though I would say Circuits.
3) How did you get to being a fitness instructor?
I’ve always enjoyed exercise, my father used to use gyms everyday and was big on weight training. The importance of looking after yourself came from him. I used to do dumbells in the house and have a bit of dance around for my cardio (laughs). I started working in lesiure as a lifeguard and used to attend the aerobics classes. It was then I decided I wanted to become a ‘Exercise To Music’ Instructor.
4) How long have you been doing this for?
I’ve been a class instructor for 12 years and a gym/fitness instructor for at least 9. It’s very rewarding to know that you can help people feel better about themselves.
5) What's the most physically challenging class on offer?
Rebound makes me sweat buckets, I love it! But I’ve had to lower the intensity for myself at the moment due to being pregnant.
6) When are people most motivated?
After Christmas and when they’re about to go on their summer holiday.
7) What's the most memorable incident in class?
Falling over in a class and on another occasion my trousers split at the back.
8) Do you give advice in class?
You can’t out- train a bad diet!
9) How do you keep a group motivated in class?
Giving 110%, smiling, having a sing-song to the music. I think they like that.
10) When people join your classes what benefits are they likely to see?
Increased cardiovascular fitness, muscular endurance and fat loss.
11) What classes would you recommend for weight loss and toning?
Most of them!
12) What are your personal fitness goals and achievements?
Toned stomach (happy with my baby bump for now though).
13) Can anyone come along and achieve a six pack?
A 6 pack is extremely hard work and requires a lot of dedication, motivation and self-discipline. It won’t happen overnight!
14) What 3 words sum up your classes?
Fun, energetic and motivating.
15) Have you got any nutrition and health tips you can share?
Everyone should aim for a well balanced diet. Faddy crash diets may not provide the balance of nutrients you need. Also plenty of water don’t mistake thirst for hunger.
16) What’s your message to people who thinking of joining up?
If they’re already thinking about it, they must want to change, they have to make that step and we will be ready to help.
17) Where is your favourite place to train outdoors in Swansea?
If I get a Sunday off with my partner I like to take walks around the Gower its beautiful. I also like to visit kilvey hill when I can, if you have never been up there you should! Other than that sadly I usually train indoors.
18) What do most people come to a class in search of?
Weight loss is most popular.
19) What are your personal goals right now?
To have a healthy preganancy, I try to do around 30 mins a day at a moderate intensity, usually walking, x-trainer or bike and some light weights.
20) Silly question but why should people lead active lifestyles?
To help you lead a longer, healthier life!